5 Ways to Encourage Imaginative Play

Recently, Fisher Price sent me 5 of their new Little People® characters, and it got me thinking about how important it is for kids to use their imaginations when they play.  In an age of technology, I worry that my boys aren't going to benefit from play as much as my generation did.  So, today I am sharing 5 ways to encourage imaginative play:



1) Get crafting - Always have an array of craft supplies available.  Kids love to create, and crafting is a great way for little ones to express themselves.



2) Have a dress up box - Dressing up is a great way for kids to play and use their imaginations.  You'll be amazed by the adventures they go on when they put on a hat or costume.



3) Limit screen time - TVs and computers are fine in moderation, but young kids need lots of time to play, read, and use their imaginations.



4) Get outside - Remember when we were kids, and we spent a lot of time (outside) coming up with ways to amuse ourselves?  Little ones need to get outside, run around, build forts, and dig in the dirt. 



5) Provide the right toys - Toys that offer children the ability to use their imaginations and make up their own stories are fantastic.  I love our Little People®, toy kitchen, cash register, farm stuff, and cars.




All three of my boys played with the Fisher Price Little People®.  They are a great tool for imaginative play, and there are now FIVE new characters with their own characteristics (Eddie, Mia, Sofie, Tessa, and Koby) that you can read about here.  My boys love "Eddy" because he is an active boy (with lots of energy) who likes to go-go-go.  He also likes sports, running, jumping, and anything with a ball.  My boys are non-stop, and they love sports.  I think if I had a fourth son, his name would have to be Eddy.  :-)

You might also be interested to know that in October and November, Treehouse will hold the Little People, Big Discoveries contest.  Contestants will be able to play a hide and seek game to find new characters on playsets, watch the videos and be entered to win 1 of 5 $265 Little People Prize packs.  You can find all the details here.

There is nothing I love more than seeing my boys using their imaginations, making up stories, and pretending.  How do you encourage imaginative play in your house?


Gina Bell (aka East Coast Mommy)


“Disclosure: I am part of the Fisher-Price Blogger Campaign with Mom Central Canada and I receive special perks as part of my affiliation with this group; however, the opinions on this blog are 100% my own.”

2 comments:

  1. I think a very important suggestion you left out is to play with them! Drop your responsibilities, hop on the couch, and pretend the floor is lava... Nothing gets new ideas flowing from them like an old idea from your own childhood!!

    ReplyDelete

Don't miss any of the fun....